Re: [htdig] FURTHER INFO - A tricky one for you - (x OR y OR z) AND rhubarb AND blah

Subject: Re: [htdig] FURTHER INFO - A tricky one for you - (x OR y OR z) AND rhubarb AND blah
From: Philip Coates (philc@noho.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 10:34:33 PST

Actually, before I get blasted with a whole pile of messages telling me to
RTFM as happened to some poor newbie on a PHP list the other day (well, one
RTFM and then a thread that lasted about two weeks...):

To refine my problem:

We have a requirement (don't ask me why, please...) to be able to search
JUST on keywords.

This is all OK so far; we are using a special PHP wrapper/parser script
which seems to work fine.

We have three pull-downs, made context sensitive with JavaScript so that a
change to one affects the contents of the others. One of these pulldowns
refers to "Region", which is categorised pretty much by continent. Because
the region boundaries might be subject to change and we're into building
durable and scalable solutions it is necessary for the pages to be
catalogued with applicable countries in the keywords section:

 eg.: for Europe we would have France, UK, Germany, etc...
        for North America we would have US, Canada

and so on...

Is there a sensible way of setting up a search whereby someone enters Europe
in the first pulldown and the htsearch searches on:

 (France OR UK OR ...and so on for the whole of Europe) AND x AND y

and... brace yourselves... how would this be done from the command line, as
we're working from a wrapper script?

I have some ideas, but the HTTP POST/GET syntax of boolean searches isn't
well documented, in fact I haven't seen much documentation for boolean
searches and parsing them at all on this site - not complaining, merely
making an observation...

I know there are simpler ways of doing this, such as just codifying the
pages by region rather than by country, but the requirement is that the
pages be marked up by country, not region, so....

GDOTIA,

Phil.