Re: [htdig] number of matches reported in results page

Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:38:59 -0600 (CST)

According to Bernard T. Higonnet:
> amir wrote:
> > use this in your htdig.conf file:
> > matches_per_page: 30
> > if you want to show 30 matches per page.
> > I think that max_matches means the maximum number of
> > results returned by htsearch.
>
> Thanks muchissimo. I did indeed have them confused.
>
> But where is the doc on MAX_MATCHES???

Unfortunately, there is no MAX_MATCHES anywhere in htsearch. The
attrs.html entries are in error. As far as I can tell, it's a vestige
from 3.0.8b2 or earlier, but it doesn't look like it ever worked right,
even then.

In general, variables with names in capitals are template variables,
explained in http://www.htdig.org/hts_templates.html, while variables
with names in lower case are configuration attributes, explained in
http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html, and settable in htdig.conf. Template
variables are not settable - they're set automatically by htsearch, and
are used in template files. Many htsearch input parameters and config
attributes have corresponding template variables, so they can be plugged
into the search results.

By the way, I'm sorry you felt like we beat you up on the whole db.docdb
zapping program issue. We didn't mean to beat you up, but just to explain
why zapping the database like that is a bad idea, and to suggest better
alternatives. We do appreciate your enthousiasm for fixing problems in
htsearch, and I hope we didn't dampen that enthousiasm.