Re: [htdig] One possible solution for french accents support

Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:12:05 -0600

At 7:59 PM -0500 11/1/99, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
>I'm not trying to be coy, but this is puzzling for me. We're all agreed
>but it's the wrong approach?? Does "this" [approach] refer to something
>outside the email??

OK, so that wasn't phrased well. Everyone tosses around the idea of
having a file for deciding how to translate between charsets. It's
come up several times over the last few months. Even with locale
support, this is a good approach--it lets the user decide what needs
to be translated. It can replace or complement builtin character set
translation (if/when that happens).

The wrong approach I was referring to was the approach of modifying
the database directly. It's safer and more stable to write a fuzzy
class to check for accented variations. Besides, in the US, some
words are accented haphazardly. For example, some people write
"resume" or "résumé"

Does this make more sense now?