Re: [htdig] One possible solution for french accents support

Mon, 1 Nov 1999 18:18:24 -0600

At 11:55 PM +0200 10/29/99, Salim Gasmi wrote:
>My point of vue, of a *good* patch is something like a conf file,
>let's call it transcode.conf
>which would contains characters equivalences.
>this file would be used by htsearch and htfuzzy.

OK fine, we've all agreed on this file, but what Gilles (and I) would
say is that this is not the right approach. It's not an issue of an
"academic" approach--it's playing with fire since you're assuming the
database isn't compressed AND that the database format is stable.

Neither assumption is likely to stay valid for long. So yes, your
patch may work, but I'm certainly not going to suggest that people
use it because they're likely to play with fire.

On the other hand, an adaptation of a Fuzzy class is going to be
stable and *shouldn't* be very difficult. I'd be glad to show sample
code...