Re: [htdig] trying to get output from a program (htsearch)

Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:08:25 -0600 (CST)

According to Bernard T. Higonnet:
> I'm trying to get at the results of a search performed by htdig so I can
> massage the results.
>
> I have changed search.html so that instead of going straight to htsearch
> it goes to search.php3.
>
> search.php3 seems to get the parameters for the search OK (I can print
> them out individually) but when, within htsearch.php3, I execute
> exec("dirs/htsearch config=.......&words=lookig",$results);
>
> I get the following error messages in ..Apache/error.log:
> enter value for format:
> enter value for words:
>

> So it seems I do get to the original hetsearch but it isn't getting the
> parameters (indeed it makes no difference what I provide as parameters)

If you're running 3.1.3, or earlier releases, htsearch won't accept
the query string as a command line argument - it must be passed as the
QUERY_STRING environment variable, with the REQUEST_METHOD environment
variable set to GET, as is done for CGI programs by convention.

In the 3.2 development version, htsearch will accept the query string
as a command line argument, for exactly this sort of application.