Re: [htdig] htdig crashing TOP and other telnet sessions?

Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:29:34 -0500

>Im trying to install HTDig to database a website which requires a
>login/password first, then it takes you to a disclaimer which uses a
>cgi script to finally move you on to the website.
>
>www.mysite.com/ <--- asks for password
>www.mysite.com/index.htm <--- disclaimer with cgi "I agree" Button.
>www.mysite.com/default.htm <--- web sites front page.

I have no idea about the other behavior you see. While ht://Dig will
gladly authenticate the password if you supply it one, there's no way
for it (or any other search engine) to know to "click" the "I agree"
button.

In general, search engines ignore forms. This goes for the one you
describe, as well as the increasingly common "redirect" form used for
navigation.

In other words, if you want to index your site, I'd start on "default.htm"