Re: [htdig] Exact searches ... how?

Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:14:21 -0500 (CDT)

According to Wolfgang Schneider:
> a few days back I asked a question under about how to search for
> biblical references such as "Romans 3:2" -- that is, how can an exact
> phrase including spaces and a mix of letters and digits be searched
> for?
>
> Does anyone have some input on that? Do I need to change something
> in the actual textfiles in order to make such a reference searchable?

This is a real sticky problem. First of all, phrase matching is still
under development in 3.2, so it's not available yet. Also, it's not clear
how phrase matching will deal with punctuation and numbers. In current
releases, numbers don't even get indexed unless you set allow_numbers
to true, but even so, it'll only index numbers of 3 or more digits
(minimum_word_length), and not single digits. Maybe someone who's
working on the phrase matching modifications can comment?