[htdig] Re: Help about htdig indexing https files

Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:18:31 -0500 (CDT)

According to Edouard DESSIOUX:
> >Currently, htdig will not support URLs that begin with https://, even when
> >using local_urls to bypass the server. A trick that might work would be
> >to index using http:// instead, but use local_urls to point to the directory
> >that contains the contents of the secure server.
>
> I used that, and now, when i use htsearch, it work, except the fact
> that all my URL are http://x.y.z/ instead of https://x.y.z/
>
> >You'd need to use separate
> >configuration files for digging and searching, and use url_part_aliases in
> >each of these configuration files to rewrite the http:// into https:// in the
> >search results.
>
> This is the part i dont understand, and i would like you to explain.

It basically works as a search and replace. One url_part_aliases in the
configuration file used by htdig maps the http://x.y.z/ into some special
code like "*site", and another url_part_aliases in the configuration file
used by htsearch maps the "*site" back into the value you want, i.e.
https://x.y.z/. The substitution is left to right in htdig, and right to
left in htsearch. So, if you use the same config file for both, or the
same setting for both, you get back what you started with (but saved some
space in the database because of the encoding). However, if you use two
separate config files with different url_part_aliases setting for htdig
and htsearch, you can remap parts of URLs from one substring to another.

I hope this makes things clearer. I thought the current description
at http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#url_part_aliases was already quite clear.