Re: [htdig] Leading reasons for htdig not finding known matches?

David J. Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:53:03 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:26:41 -0500 (CDT) Gilles Detillieux
<grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> According to David Adams:
> > 4) You have hit a bug in htdig 3.1.2 which results in punctuation
> > in the page head not being stripped out. If you have, for example:
> >
> > <Title>"Champion" says Ray!</title>
> >
> > This may cause the "words":
> >
> > "champion"
> > says
> > ray!
> >
> > to be indexed.
> >

> > Can anyone positively confirm that that bug is fixed in 3.1.3 ?
>
> As far as I recall, there was no problem with punctuation in titles
> causing contamination of words in the database. Back in 3.1.0,
> punctuation in titles could contaminate the excerpt, but not the database.
> I believe this problem of punctuation getting into words is limited to
> meta descriptions. If this is the problem you're thinking of, then no,
> it has not been fixed yet.
>
> --
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil

Gilles,

I have checked back on our previous correspondence. The
problem was indeed for meta descriptions, and may not have
included the enter head section, but it was definitely
htdig version 3.1.2.