Re: [htdig] Leading reasons for htdig not finding known matches?

David Adams (
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:00:06 +0100 (BST)

> Does anyone know what the leading reasons are for htdig not returning
> results for known matches.
> For Example:
> If I query the database and then get a result that has "champion" in the
> title and then try to search on "champion" it returns a "not found" result.
> This is a new database that just completed "rundig" so I wouldn't think
> there is a problem. Any ideas?
> Charlie

Four possibilities:

1) "champion" is in the "bad word" list.

2) The score for "Title" has been set to zero.

3) The page has more than one <Title> ..</title>.

4) You have hit a bug in htdig 3.1.2 which results in punctuation
        in the page head not being stripped out. If you have, for example:

        <Title>"Champion" says Ray!</title>

        This may cause the "words":

        to be indexed.

Can anyone positively confirm that that bug is fixed in 3.1.3 ?

David J Adams
Computing Services
University of Southampton