Re: [htdig] Modifying $(STARSRIGHT)

Ivan Trundle (ivan.trundle@alia.org.au)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:56:44 +1000

Rick - why don't you offer a percentage rating instead, and leave the hacking altogether?

The added benefit is that other search front ends can use the ranking to great effect (Sherlock in Mac OS, for example).

We gave up using the (tacky, IMHO) stars for the very reason that we run a site that demands access by those who cannot see or use images, and worked around it simply with [$(PERCENT)%] instead.

Check out:
http://www.alia.org.au/search/
or
http://www.alia.org.au/conferences/alia2000/search/
or even
http://www.alia.org.au/~ivan/ski.manual/index/
..for some examples.

Cheers, Ivan

>>> "Rick" <list01@earthling.net> - 13/10/99 11:26 AM >>>

Hello ...

> But you can still change the "star" images, and create an image that looks
> exactly like a '*'.

Yes. But many people browse with image loading turned off.
Others use non-graphical browsers. People with limited
vision may filter pages to a speech converter. They don't
WANT images.

I think I will try hacking display.cc -- it doesn't look
difficult.

~~~ R ~~~