Re: [htdig] htdig-noindex = nofollow !!!

Alain Zürcher (AZurcher@ifrance.com)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:10:47 +0200

I asked :

>When I add the tag <META name="htdig-noindex">, HtDig don't index the
pages,
>but doesn't FOLLOW the links on them either!
>
>Is there another tag or another way to achieve what I want?

Geoff answered :

>This tag does not follow any DTD or relative standard. It has been in
>the code for a very long time and has always meant exactly that.
>
>What you'd like it to use the new standard, the robots META tag:

Do you mean "would you", or "why would you"? Well, I would like a tag, maybe
another one so as not to disturb the people using the current one, that
would mean "noindex,follow" just like in a robots tag.

I cannot use the robots tag because I want my tables of contents to be
indexed by external search engines. These pages are relevant for visitors
coming from outside. But visitors that are already within the site want to
find the pages that contains the information, not the index pages.
Furthermore, many of my "menu" pages are framed, and it is a mess when they
are found and called individually.

But of course, I need HtDig to follow all the links on these menu pages, in
order to index the pages where the information is.