[htdig] Tenon update

Gabriel Fenteany (fenteany@zk.bwh.harvard.edu)
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 00:57:59 -0400

Well, I am really impressed with ht://Dig's performance in the Apache-based
WebTen Web server virtual Unix environment on a Mac G3 with Mac OS 8.6 (not
Mac OS X Server). The G3 Mac a 400 Mhz w/ 256 Mb RAM and an Ultra2 LVD hard
drive. It is much faster than our old system, ht://Dig in Apache under
Digital Unix on a 275 Mhz Dec Alpha w/ 128 Mb RAM and SCSI-2 hard drive. It
hasn't crashed once, and I've even been doing other stuff while htsearch is
handling 15 simultaneous searches.

I let Tenon know that ht://Dig was the whole reason we got an underutilized
Mac and set up the server, and that their continued support of ht://Dig are
important to us. They said they may include the latest ht://Dig in their
soon-to-be final WebTen 3. They also said that they are following the GNU
license for ht://Dig, and the source code for all their work on it is
available on their ftp site. I don't know if any of their tweaks or patches
would be useful to the general ht://Dig project, but they certainly seem to
be skilled at porting Unix environments stably to the Mac.

Regards,

Gabriel

--
Gabriel Fenteany, Ph.D.