Re: [htdig] Bad Words in the Search String

David Adams (D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:42:42 +0100 (BST)

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:23:55 -0500 Geoff Hutchison
> <ghutchis@wso.williams.edu> wrote:
>
> > At 11:32 AM +0100 9/30/99, David Adams wrote:
> > >would like advice on. It appears that an "All" search on a search
> > >string containing a word in the bad_word_list will fail. For example, a
> > >search on "The Staff Club" finds nothing, while a search on "Staff Club"
> > >finds the Staff Club page. More seriously for us, a search for
> > >"New College" fails, while a search on "College" finds the pages on
> > >The University of Southampton New College.
> >
> > Are you doing these searches including the quotes? What version are you using?
> >
> > -Geoff Hutchison
> > Williams Students Online
> > http://wso.williams.edu/
>
> Version is ht://Dig 3.1.2, sorry I omitted that in original
> posting.
>
> The search strings are used without quotes. Would that
> make a difference?
>
> Try for yourself at http://www.search.soton.ac.uk/soton/

> David J. Adams
> D.J.Adams@soton.ac.uk

I have found out what the problem is: ht://Dig 3.1.2 does not like
bad words in the search string which contain capital letters!

Thus an "All" search on "The Staff Club" finds no pages, while an
"All" search on "the Staff Club" does find the staff club web pages.

--

David Adams
Computing Services