Re: [htdig] htdig pausing with each new server

Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:27:04 -0500

At 11:31 AM -0400 10/2/99, Steven Karel wrote:
>changing server_wait_time and/or timeout in the config file doesn't seem
>to do any good.
>
>Is there any way to get around this, and have htdig either discard the
>unresponsive server, or continue working on other servers while waiting?

We're in the process of rewriting parts of the connection code, which
will hopefully help. I still don't know why timeout doesn't seem to
help some people stop long connections, but further testing will help.

It is supposed to discard the unresponsive server since the
connection will timeout and the server will be ignored for the rest
of the dig. However, since it seems like your timeout doesn't happen,
this never occurs.

As for "continue working on other servers while waiting," this would
be nice, obviously, but htdig itself is not multithreaded. So if a
connection doesn't timeout, it's essentially hung. Making it
multithreaded would be nice, but that's a ways down the road right
now.