Re: [htdig] PR #657: Misinterpretation of URL parameters

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:42:30 +0200

peter karlsson wrote:

> > 2) transSGML will corrupt any URL that uses the traditional URL
> > parameter delimiter by the attempt to translate a non-existing
> > entity which results in a space character, e.g. the URL para-
> > meter "?i=1&p=1" will be truncated to "?i=1".
>
> If that's found in the HTML code of a web page, it is *correct* behaviour to
> do so.

You're right, if you are referencing HTML 4.0 - but I doubt that
it is correct behaviour for previous versions of HTML - at least
concerning URL encoding.

For compatibility reasons and due to the fact that many people
won't follow entity encoding in URLs, I think that a single am-
persand in an URL (i.e. non-entity) should be treated "as is".

  Torsten