Re: [htdig] Question about htdig scope

Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:21:37 -0600 (MDT)

Erick Thompson's bits of Mon, 27 Sep 1999 translated to:
> I've just installed htdig, and I was wondering how it handles a directory
> name as part of the base URL. That is, if I put in www.foo.com/data/ will
> htdig index all of www.foo.com or just the documents under data?

It should do neither. Instead, it will look for a default page in the data/
directory (e.g. index.html, index.htm). It will index that page, collect
all of the links listed on that page, and proceed to do the same with each
of those links. There are a number of ways in which the links it follows
will be limited, but it will only consider pages that can be reached by
traversing a series of links that originate in the default page.

Jim