Re: [htdig] word sort fails

David Robley (
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:50:16 +0930 (CST)

On 27 Sep, Greg W wrote:
> Hello
> I am not in front of the machine in question, but I have a small problem,
> from Cron I get the error
> htmerge: Word sort failed
> I read something about needing to change the shell in the script, can anyone
> confirm the correct method to overcome this error.
> Thanks for any help..

This _may_ be your problem: from the FAQ:

5.5. I have problems running rundig from cron under Linux.

This problem commonly occurs on Red Hat Linux 5.0 and 5.1, because of a
bug in vixie-cron. It causes htmerge to fail with a "Word sort failed" error.
It's fixed in Red Hat 5.2. You can install vixie-cron-3.0.1-26.{arch}.rpm
from a 5.2 distribution to fix the problem on 5.0 or 5.1. A quick fix for the
problem is to change the first line of rundig to "#!/bin/ash" which will run
the script through the ash shell, but this doesn't solve the underlying problem.

David Robley

WEBMASTER | Phone +61 8 8374 0970 RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES | AusEinet | Flinders University, ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA Visit the PHP mirror at

<<<<<<<<<<<<< WARNING * END OF TEXT * STOP READING HERE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>