[htdig] What "features" of libht.a does htdig 3.1.2 require?

Larry Williamson (larry@mitra.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:07:48 -0400 (EDT)

I have this working, but I want to share what I did.

Larry Williamson <larry@mitra.com> wrote:
> I am trying to build ht:/dig 3.1.2 on a Solaris 2.7 machine with gcc
> 2.8.1. I have libstd++ version 2.8.1 installed too.
>
> ht:/dig fails to configure because libht is not found.

This comment was not entirely clear to everyone. When I ran
/configure, and used gcc, ./configure would fail at this point...

  if test "x$nofstream" = "x1" ; then
  { echo "configure: error: To compile ht://Dig, you will need a C++ library. Try installing libstdc++." 1>&2; exit 1; }
  fi

I ran ./configure in a debug mode (sh -x) and it looked like it was
trying to link with libht.a at this point. I assumed this was
supposed to be some library in the gcc installation. I must have been
mistaken, but this still fails.

I don't care because...

> I tried to use the SunPro 4.2 C++ compiler instead, but to no avail.
>
> In both cases, the missing libht.a seems to be the cause.

I fixed this and it is now working okay. First, although I had set my
CC environment variable to use the sunpro compiler, I had not set my
CXX environment variable to the sunpro CC compiler. Second, I found
the compiled failed on htlib/regex.c as it used alloca. I defined
REGEX_MALLOC in the regex.h and now everything has compiled and linked
and is installed. I don't know yet if it runs, this will be tested
later today by someone else.