Re: [htdig] What "features" of libht.a does htdig 3.1.2 require?

Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:47:29 -0600

By "configure" do you literally mean that it fails while running
/configure? Or that it fails while trying to compile with gcc? The
former doesn't seem to make sense since libht.a is built when compiling
htdig, it is not a system library. So I will assume the latter. I have
compiled htdig 3.1.2 on a Solaris 7 machine with no problems and I am
currently running the same spread across machines running Solaris 2.6 and
Solaris 7, so it is certainly doable. The only difference is that I used
the gcc stuff from an egcs distribution, but I don't think that shouldn't
make any difference; the binaries are available at
http://www.htdig.org/files/binaries if you want to take that route.

As for compiling it yourself, which make are you using? If you are using
the generic /usr/ccs/bin/make, that might be your problem. The makefiles
generated by ./configure expect a certainly level of functionality that
might not be supported by generic make that comes with Solaris 7. You
should try to grab a copy of GNU make and verify that it is used when you
start your compile. I am using version 3.77 of GNU make which is
available at http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/solaris/sparc/

Jim