Re: [htdig] Hit count>0 but no URLs returned

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:18:27 -0500

>I have not looked to see if the problem has gone away with the latest
>version (ok, I'm not even sure it is a problem with htdig, maybe my
>predecessor just failed to set it up right). Since my brief is to re-index
>from scratch once a week I just place a new empty directory and
>subsequently rename the directories so I always have an old directory with
>a backup database from the previous week in it.

There were a number of bugs in the 3.0.8b2 release (and earlier) that
gave this effect (among other database-corrupting behavior). This is
one of the reason I don't recommend *anyone* running anything earlier
than 3.1.2.

There are other ways for a database to become corrupted, including
plain-old bit rot. The best way to combat this, as Malcom suggested
is to rebuild from scratch every so often.

I'd be greatly interested if someone can show me this is happening in
a 3.1.x release.