Re: [htdig] Vestris Homepage

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:04:01 -0500

At 1:06 PM +0200 9/17/99, Walter Hafner wrote:
>Quoted from http://www.vestris.com/alkaline/intro.html:
>Perhabs, someone should set things right. :-)

Remember that their marketing department wants you to *buy* their
software. For example, InfoSeek has comparisons of other programs too
at
<http://software.infoseek.com/products/ultraseek/comparisons/htdig.htm

>We've heard from customers that the spider in ht://Dig is not
>network friendly, and can overwhelm servers with requests. We've
>also heard from customers that ht://Dig has trouble with even medium
>sized collections, becoming unstable and crashing.
>
>To try out ht://Dig for yourself, you can try the San Diego State
>University site:
>
>http://www.sdsu.edu
>
>In short, ht://Dig is a nice tool if you have no need for ease or
>performance, and it is free. For a complete list of Ultraseek Server
>features, see our Detailed Feature List. We encourage you to compare
>ht://Dig with our product (or better yet, download our evaluation
>copy) to determine which product better meets your needs.

>Otoh, there's this server aliases/virtual hosts issue I mention from
>time to time ... :-)

Interesting you should mention that. I was just about to start in on
the duplicate detection code. While I remember your technique for
determining if a server was a server alias, I can't remember why you
could guarantee that it was a duplicate. Perhaps we could take this
up on the htdig3-dev list or off-list?