Re: [htdig] large db's and RAM

Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:40:34 -0600

More RAM is always a good thing. But in this case, I am not sure spending a
fortune on RAM would really be justified. Since htsearch is a CGI program and
not a server, it reloads itself for each query rather than just setting there
in memory waiting for queries to show up. As far as I know, it is going to
have to pull a bunch of bits off of the drive every time it is invoked,
regardless of how much memory you have. I am sure someone will be happy to
correct me if I am wrong ;)

The only option I can think of for keeping the databases in memory would be to
look at setting up some sort of RAM disk and populating it with the databases
whenever the system starts up. This is not something I have actually tried and
I have no idea whether it would work or not.

Jim