[htdig] Speed of large search engine sites?

Charlie Romero (charlie@jumpinternet.com)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:35:58 -0400

So how do they do it?

How can the major search engines retrieve data so fast? As quick as
some search results are they have got to be cached in RAM. How do
they cache a three terrabyte database in RAM? or at least fool me
into thinking it is.

I mean UW fast SCSI is great and so is a 200MHZ bus speed and so is a
Gig of RAM... How can I make htdig that fast if my .db's won't all
fit in RAM?

Charlie