[htdig] Meta keywords abuse;(

Joe R. Jah (jjah@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:39:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I run htdig for a college; several departments maintain their respective
sites on a few servers. Each department has a webmaster, sort of, who
sets up their pages; some departments take advantage of the enthusiasm of
their students and leave it to them to set up the site. Sometimes
students become over-enthusiastic;)

Some of the over-enthusiastic students, or webmasters, get the idea of
using, I'd say abusing, the meta keywords. They create a meta tag
keywords set of over a hundred very common words and replicate it in two
dozen files in their site. When anyone searches for any of those common
words, the first two dozen results would be from that site.

My solution, for now, is to exclude their site from the dig; however, I
would like to find a less drastic measure. I would like to dig their
site, but incapacitate _their_ meta tag keywords. I'd like to leave meta
tags for judicious use, a few descriptive keywords, not a hundred!!

Secondly, and more importantly, I'd like to find a way to discover such
abuses. I stumbled upon one of these sites, by sheer luck the day after
they set it up;) I'd like to systematically search and find any site who
abuses meta tags like this, S&D;)

I appreciate any pointers,

TIA,

Joe