Re: [htdig] german umlauts with htsearch

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:25:37 -0500 (CDT)

According to Marcus J. Ertl:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:46:45 -0500 (CDT), Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> >If the entries in db.wordlist are wrong, then it may be that your locale
> >setting wasn't correct for your system, that the locales on your system
> >aren't set up correctly, or that your system's implementation of locales
> >is just buggy. For example, I gave up trying to set up locales on my
> >libc5 based Red Hat 4.2 system. Even after installing all the needed
> >locale files, the system just didn't seem to want to use them. With Red
> >Hat 5.2's glibc 2.0 support, locales work fine straight out of the box,
> >but with 5.0, you need to install a glibc update that will include all
> >the locale files.
>
> Is there a way to get local support without being root????

The locale files normally live under /usr/share/locale, and it normally
takes root access to add stuff to it. If you can't find the locale files
you need there, then you'd need to get your system administrator to add
them. I don't know of a way to specify an alternate locale database
directory.