Re: [htdig] german umlauts with htsearch

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:46:45 -0500 (CDT)

According to Wolfram Stumpf:
> Im working on the following problem. I recently digged a german web
> page. Everything works perfect, but everytime I start a query with a
> word with , , in it, I just get the message back, that nothing
> matches. Im absolutely shure, htdig indexed the words. I already
> installed the german wordlists and added the locale statemant.

One way to make sure the indexing worked correctly is to look at the
entries in db.wordlist. It's just a plain text file. If the words are
all in there correctly with their umlauts, then you know that the locale
worked for indexing. In this case, it really should work correctly for
searching as well, as long as you're using the same locale. If you're
using a different config file for searches, make sure it defines the
locale setting the same way as the config file you used for htdig.

If the entries in db.wordlist are wrong, then it may be that your locale
setting wasn't correct for your system, that the locales on your system
aren't set up correctly, or that your system's implementation of locales
is just buggy. For example, I gave up trying to set up locales on my
libc5 based Red Hat 4.2 system. Even after installing all the needed
locale files, the system just didn't seem to want to use them. With Red
Hat 5.2's glibc 2.0 support, locales work fine straight out of the box,
but with 5.0, you need to install a glibc update that will include all
the locale files.