Re: [htdig] optimal memory setup

Doug (DougB@simplenet.com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:52:05 -0700

"Maren S. Leizaola" wrote:

> > > Is it better to give a lot of swap space ( let's say 512Mb ) Should I
> > give more ? or less ?
> >
> > I'd give it a gig just to be on the safe side. You can always add more
> > hard disk on a scsi chain, but reconfiguring your machine because you
> > don't have enough swap is a royal pain.
> >

> Due to FreeBSD's Swap interleaving/spannig over multiple drives I believe
> that you can always add another drive and grow your swap...

        That's true, although you eventually reach a point where it becomes
less efficient, and then ultimately you can't add anymore. Disk is
cheap, and based on the user's estimated usage patterns he can spare the
disk space now, and save himself a lot of hassles later. Which is not to
say that there isn't more than one way to do it....

Doug