Re: [htdig] COMPLAINT: Spam mail abuse

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:43:51 -0500

> The following person used our mailing list that does not allow SPAM or indeed
> any commercial advertising, and has wasted the server resources of htDig.ord
> with inappropriate spam. It's is particularly stupid given that a large
> proportion of HTDig subscribers live outside the US in any case, besides which
> who in their right mind would give any business to a spammer ?

OK. I'm sure we all know how annoying spam is. But some ground rules...

1) I'm not going to only allow posts from subscribers. This is a support
list and so anyone should be able to mail the list. Yes, this means we'll
get spam.

2) Don't reply to spam. It only cofirms that the address is legit -> more
spam. If you *really* want to reply, at least don't cc: the list since it
will do the same.

3) (I doubt this is necessary but...) Let's keep OT discussions (i.e. spam)
off the list. I'll be glad to answer any questions personally.