[htdig] optimal memory setup

Ludwig Rey (Ludwig.Rey@etu.univ-savoie.fr)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:43:05 +0200

I'm setting up a dedicated freeBSD box for htdig, and I was wondering what memory setup I
should use, ie how much swap space to use. At now, htdig runs on 5000 pages, and the db
size is ~35Mb. In the next few months, the number of page migth grow to 15000 - 20000
pages.
The Server is a PII 400 w/ 128Mb Ram and 9Gb UltraSCSI HD.
Apache Http server is also running on the same box. I have no ideas how many people will
access htdig and / or will browse the pages on the server. For one year or so, accesses may
be pretty low ( no more than 1 access at a time ), but after that, I don't know.

Is it better to give a lot of swap space ( let's say 512Mb ) Should I give more ? or less ?

Should I provide a dedicated partition for htdig files ( conf and db files ) because there is only
one disk. No matter the partitions if it crashes.... Moreover, I run a daily backup on the
server.

Thanks,

Ludwig Rey
Universite de Savoie