Re: [htdig] Search results

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:17:22 -0500 (CDT)

According to peter karlsson:
> > There are two strange things about this. First of all, as you point out,
> > the problem started before you started indexing through Squid. Secondly,
> > if htdig doesn't receive a Content-Type header, it shouldn't even attempt
> > to index the document at all.
>
> I think I have found the problem. phttpd doesn't seem to send the
> Content-Type header if the client sends the "If-Modified-Since" header. I do
> not know if this is something it should do (assuming that the client already
> knows the content-type, or something), or if it is a bug.

I don't know what the HTTP standard has to say about this. It seems to me
to be a bad assumption on phttpd's part, but it may be that the standard
allows it. In any case, it seems it would be a good idea to make htdig
remember the content-type of previously indexed documents, and use it by
default. Unfortunately, that information isn't currently stored in the
database, so it's not exactly a trivial change, and it would require a
full reindexing before the new information would be able to take effect.

Perhaps this should be considered for the 3.2 development.