xpdf 0.90 announcement (was Re: [htdig] parse_doc.pl slow)

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:28:59 -0500 (CDT)

According to Frank Guangxin Liu:
> I saw the new xpdf 0.90 is out. Has anybody tried that? Any
> improvement? Does it include the patches (deltax, rawdump) from
> htdig ftp site?

I saw the announcement, but haven't had time to try it out yet. It is
supposed to have the deltax fixes, and some improved variation on the
rawdump option (though I don't know what it's called). It's also supposed
to have support for vertical text, but I don't know if that will solve the
landscape text problem you had. Please try it out, though, and let me know
what you find. Here's Derek's announcement...

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:56:49 -0700
Subject: ANNOUNCE: xpdf 0.90 - a PDF viewer for X

I've just released a new version of xpdf, my Portable Document Format
(PDF) viewer for X.

Xpdf runs under the X Window System on Unix, VMS, and OS/2. The non-X
components of the package (pdftops, pdftotext, etc.) also run on Win32
systems.

*** NEW -- Anti-aliased fonts!
*** This release uses t1lib to render embedded Type 1/1C fonts (and
*** the base 14 fonts).

Other noticeable changes:

* Added "backward" and "forward" buttons.
* Added fit-page and fit-page-width zoom factors.
* Type 1C fonts are converted to Type 1 and embedded in PostScript.
* Support vertical Japanese text.
* Added Japanese text support (EUC-JP) to pdftotext.
* Initial support for PDF 1.3.

See the `CHANGES' file for a complete list.

Source (C++ and C) is available, and it should be fairly easy to
compile for UNIX, VMS, OS/2, and Win32.

More information, source code, and precompiled binaries are on the
xpdf web page and ftp site:

    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
    ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/

Source and Linux binaries are on sunsite.unc.edu, currently in
the incoming directory, but they will be moved to:

    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/graphics/viewers/X

The following will be available soon --

    RPM packages for RedHat 5.x Linux systems:
        ftp://contrib.redhat.com/

    Decryption patches:
        ftp://ftp.sci.usq.edu.au/pub/linux/xpdf/

    Decryption-enabled Linux binaries:
        ftp://ftp.replay.com/pub/replay/linux/redhat/

- Derek