Re: [htdig] Indexing accented characters

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:16:39 -0500 (CDT)

According to Tomas Garcia Ferrari:
> I am having problems with accented characters... I was having a look at
> the list archive and the FAQ (I already read the point 5.8 I'm having
> problems with...) but the conf file seems to be ok... I have set up the
> locale as en_US (because the main language of the part of the site that I
> am indexing is in english) but I've got a lot of names with accented
> characters... In the german side of the website, using locale de_DE, the
> indexing is perfect...
>
> Any clue?

Sounds like the locale for en_US isn't set up right on your system. On my
Red Hat systems (other than 4.2), the locales en_US, en_GB, de_DE and
fr_FR (and others) all copy LC_CTYPE from en_DK, so they all handle the
full set of accented letters in ISO-8859-1. It may be that your system
did things differently, for some reason. You could try manually copying
the LC_CTYPE file from de_DE to en_US to see if that fixes the problem.
Most systems keep the locale files under /usr/share/locale.