Re: [htdig] Optimal html-page layout for best hit results ?

Dr. Thomas-M.Stein (stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:15:01 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks Geoff,

A few things are still not very clear to me...
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> "Dr. Thomas-M.Stein" wrote:
> > Any other idea on how to best build up the pages to get best results and
> > satisfied users ?
>
> Since the META description is used in the search results themselves,....

Is it actually 'presented' in those few line of description
collected from the meta tags like:

   "This site describes the use of sprinklers in Citrus under arid ....">

So searching for 'sprinkler' and 'citrus' would result in something like:

Page Title So and So *****
--------------------------
        This site describes the use of sprinklers in Citrus under arid ...
        ...................... etc.
        http://www.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/search/

> ... this is often a very good way to indicate relevance to a user. A
> short summary often provides excellent results and can be indexed with
> high weight...

This would mean to give more weight to the "meta_description_factor: ??"
or would the default of 20 be enough.

If I am using 'keywords_meta_tag_names: keywords' as well
the search would look for the keywords and present
the contents of the results as a summary.

I know there are no general rules but experiences would help.

> ... This would essentially fall along the same lines as
> carefully picking a page title.

But still we would have the problem that the highlighted link of that page
would be "Page Title So an So" if someone doesn't choose it properly. And
thats the first thing which probably will be read.

> --
> -Geoff Hutchison
> Williams Students Online
> http://wso.williams.edu/