Re: [htdig] Optimal html-page layout for best hit results ?

Dr. Thomas-M.Stein (stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:20:01 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks Matt,

that are some good hints.

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Matt Daly wrote:
> I use a similar approach very successfully. Instead of using
> filenames, however, you might want to consider 'burying' your
> search handles in a meta tag, making sure they're uniquely constructed
> strings not likely to occur in natural language. Example:
> irrigation of landscape plants might be "irgldscp", and irrigation
> for agricultural plants might be "irgagr". You can then search
> for "irg" (all irrigation) or "irg[xxx]", for a narrower result.
> --
> Matt Daly
> matlanta@mindspring.com

The problem with meta tags in general (not for internally building up
different virtual databases) I found is that the user who has typed in a
search term may not directly recognise it in the search result (he assumes
that it is a program falt) as the page title may contain different words.
He is tempted to move on to a more close match what he would think will be
indicated by apperance of a search term in the title ?

I think the choice of the page title is very impotant !

Any other idea on how to best build up the pages to gest best results and
satisfied users ?

Thanks

Thomas