Re: [htdig] Indexing huge websites (really Linux 2G max file size

Michael Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:56:31 -0800 (AKDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> The large filesystem patch is:
> http://linux-patches.rock-projects.com/v2.2-f/lfs-32bit.html
>
> The latter is also usually rolled into the -ac patches to the Linux
> kernel.
>
> I don't know how well tested they are, but I imagine for ext2 on ia32,
> they're probably pretty heavily tested. That doesn't mean they are
> highly supported patches. ;-)

If >2GB file support is required, it'd probably be a good idea to consider
an Alpha.

Especially now that the 21264 based machines are out, the 164LX and SX are
pretty good deals.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax