Re: [htdig] 3.1.2-errors & umlaute

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:07:53 +0200

According to Dirk Kutsche:
>Hi,
>
>Gilles Detillieux schrieb:
>> Do you know which program gave the error messages above? If it was
>> htsearch, it may be that you tried to run it before htfuzzy had finished.
>
>Yes, it's htsearch. The rundig-script has almost finished. But the
>root2word.db, word2root.db and synonyms.db are empty.
>
>> 1) What OS version is running on all your systems?
>
>SuSe Linux 6.1 - kernel 2.2.5

You should:

1) upgrade your kernel to the most recent version (2.2.5 is quite messy)
2) upgrade the completely outdated and buggy version of ht://Dig shipped
   with the SuSE distribution to the most recent stable version (that will
   fix a couple of bugs and also add lots of customization and localization
   features which you might like to make use of).

>> 2) Do all your systems give the same error above, or just some?
>
>Yes, the system where I compiled the SW and also systems where I copied
>to.
>
>> 3) Which dictionaries are you using? The standard English ones included
>> with the package, or German ones? If the latter, where did you obtain them?
>
>I use the standard-installation. No changes at all - only the start_url
>and the maintainer was changed from me.
>I think there are only english-dictionaries:
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 923176 Apr 6 20:02 english.0
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5756 Apr 6 20:02 english.aff
>
>Where can I get germans?

Ht://Dig uses the same dictionaries used by ispell. The SuSE distribution
should come with a couple of those prepared for use with ispell. You might
get the files necessary for ht://Dig by installing the source packages for
the ispell dictionaries.

You should also look at the ht://Dig FAQ for where to get other sources and
how to set up the locale support:
        http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q4.10

>> Sounds like your locale isn't set properly in your htdig.conf, or locales
>> aren't working on your OS. Try
>>
>> locale: de_DE
>Set in htdig.conf or as shell-variable??

1) Check whether you installed the localedb package from SuSE.
   You'll need that for localization.
2) As Gilles pointed out, htdig.conf (or whatever you name it) is the
   right place to put the locale directive for ht://Dig.
   See http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#locale for more information.

hth,
  Torsten