Re: [htdig] Indexing private Mailman archives with ht://Dig?

Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:50:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Igor S. Livshits wrote:

> Since Mailman uses a proprietary authentication scheme, I cannot
> configure ht://Dig to properly authenticate and search private
> archives. Has anyone found a work-around?

What do you mean "proprietary?" I assume you mean the Mailman list
manager, covered under GPL? If so, the authentication can't be
proprietary--the source code's available.

What sort of authentication mechanism do they use? I know they allow
"private" archives, but we're still talking about a web-based archive,
right?

I just checked the Mailman site at http://www.list.org/ and they have
"search engine" as a TODO item. If you can tell me what they use to
authenticate and/or put me in contact with a developer, we can probably
take care of that TODO item. ;-)