Re: [htdig] unknown locale !

Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:34:22 -0500 (CDT)

According to Alain Zürcher:
> Gilles Detillieux wrote :
>
> << You didn't mention what OS you're using. I've tried ht://Dig on both
> Red Hat 4.2 and Red Hat 5.0. I've found that on 4.2 I couldn't get
> locales to work at all for me, but it seems to work OK on 5.x, though I
> haven't tested either that thoroughly.>>
>
> It is Red Hat 5.0. Unfortunately, my IPP is running it, not me. I can only
> telnet to it.

OK, I just tried indexing some French text on a fairly uncustomised (but
updated) Red Hat 5.0 system. It worked like a charm. No complaints,
and the text with accents got inserted into db.wordlist just as it should.

My 5.0 system has the glibc-2.0.7-19 update, which your IPP should install
as well if they're not running it now. It seems that glibc-2.0.5c-10,
which comes with the standard 5.0 distribution, doesn't have all locales
pre-installed. Your IPP could run localedef to build the missing locales,
but it would be quicker and easier to get and install the update RPM
for glibc - they'll get the benefit of other fixes as well. If they need
more convincing, point them to the Red Hat errata below, which shows all
the bugs fixed in the latest glibc update:

http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/rh50-errata-general.html#glibc

They should take a good long look at the entire document, and consider
installing all of the updates, especially the security fixes.

> Torsten wrote :
>
> << Again, have a look at your locale directory!
> Check for the files LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_CTIME and
> LC_NUMERIC in your "fr" locale directory. If these files do not
> exist, your "fr" locale is not usable for handling many of the
> issues of ht://Dig indexing. >>
>
> I may be missing something and need some (alas probably off-topic) help :
>
> I have found a program called "locale", located at /usr/bin/locale.
>
> When I run it with -a, it gives me what I think are the available locale
> values: fr, french etc. but not fr_FR.
>
> Now, what is the locale *directory*, and where is it located?

On Red Hat 5.0, it's /usr/share/locale. It contains subdirectories for
each locale. You must use fr_FR, because it's the one that's complete with
charset information (LC_CTYPE), while "fr" only contains LC_MESSAGES.