Re: [htdig] setting uname/pword from config file?

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:48:26 +0200

According to Frank Guangxin Liu:
>I have some ideas about this username/password thing.
>We can put those information in a separate file (only
>readable to root, or whoever runs the "htdig" task).
>The password file can have three columns,
>siteURL username password
>Multiple lines are allowed so that "htdig" can dig different
>sites(URL) with different username/password. This is an improvement
>over the old htdig where only ONE username/password can be
>specified.
>We can also make a special entry for "siteURL" column, say,
>a dash "-", or a word "default", which means that this line
>(username/password) will be used if no matching siteURL entry
>can be found for a site that requires authentication.
>
>We can even modify the -u option to "htdig". If this option
>has : in it (say username:pass), use the old way, otherwise,
>treat it as the filename of the password file. If it has a
>leading /, treat it as an absolute filename, otherwise, a
>filename relative to CONFIG_DIR
>
>Frank

If we are going to use such a file, we could possibly also use
existing resources, like the ftp ~/.netrc file. However, this
could imply splitting up ht://Dig configuration and access in-
formation, which might not be useful.

Torsten