Re: [htdig] PDFSegmentation Violation Caught

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:14:52 -0500 (CDT)

According to Patrick Buckingham:
> I have a lot of PDF's on my site and use Acrobat 4.0 to create them. I have
> these errors when indexing from rundig..
>
> /home/search/db/htdig6455.pdf: Segmentation Violation Caught.
> PDF::parse: error running pdf_parser on .........................
>
> I have Acrobat 4 installed on my system
>
> Any ideas?

Well, the Segmentation Violation Caught message isn't coming from htdig,
so it must be coming from acroread. Looks like Acrobat 4 has trouble
digesting its own output. You could try reverting to acroread 3 on your
htdig system, or switch to parse_doc.pl and the xpdf 0.80 package.

You didn't mention if the error above occurs consistently for all your
PDFs, or just a few. If it's all of them, I'd guess there might be some
incompatibility with Acrobat on your system.

You may want to try running acroread directly on one of the problematic
PDFs to see if it fails that way too. Also, check your max_doc_size
attribute to make sure htdig isn't truncating any of your PDFs - it
could be that Acrobat 4 doesn't fail as gracefully as it should on these.