Re: [htdig] result: small & capital letters in the url

Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:53:02 -0500 (CDT)

According to Alok K. Dhir:
> I had a similar problem, and the case_sensitive directive was unable to fix it.
> I solved it by removing the upper case link to the lower case directory. I.e.,
> TATA was a soft link to tata. Getting rid of the soft link was the only way I
> was able to fix this...

I assume that when you removed the upper case symlink, you also changed
any URLs in your documents that pointed to the upper case name, to use the
lower case version instead? If not, you'll have some broken links on your
site, unless you set up a redirect to map the upper case name to lower case.

As long as your documents are consistent in the case they use, there
shouldn't be a problem. I've set up a few symlinks on my site, for the
benefit of badly formed links from other sites to ours, but as my documents
on our site never refer to the symlinks, htdig doesn't see 'em and so I have
no problems with duplicates.

Redirects don't cause the same problem as symlinks, because htdig can handle
them (the server sends htdig to the correct, unique URL for the document).