Re: [htdig] Invalid Compressed Data error?

Torsten Neuer (
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:27:34 +0200

According to Matt Salomone:
>>Gunzip is being very balky about unzipping htdig-3.1.2.tar.gz for me...
>Problem 1: tar xzf htdig-3.1.2.tar.gz returns that z is an invalid option. I must not have GNU tar. So I tried the workaround, using gunzip, and...
>Problem 2: gunzip -c htdig-3.1.2.tar.gz | tar xvf - begins unzipping the archive but dies during extraction after a few files (the last one it extracts successfully is, giving an 'invalid compressed data--crc error'. gzip -dc htdig-3.1.2.tar.gz | tar xvf - gives the same error. I've tried re-downloading the file to make sure it hadn't been corrupted or something, and it does the same thing.

Obviously, you have a truncated archive.
If you downloaded it via a proxy-cache, this cache might just
return the truncated file again. Try directly FTP'ing it
from without using a chaching proxy. Or, if
you prefer to use your web-browser for downloads, either
disable the proxy-cache in your browser settings or force
reloading of the file.

E-Mail:            Internet: