Re: [htdig] setting uname/pword from config file?

Andrew Scherpbier (
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 16:20:23 -0700

Darrell Berry wrote:
> the -u option on htdig seems a security these command line
> options can be exposed by crafty ps options (correct?)...but they dont
> sem settable in the config file, unless i'm simply not seeing it...
> can these be added, if i'm correct, or can u point me at the approproate
> directives?
> thnx

Well, the point of not allowing the username/password to be set in the
configuration file was for security reasons; files could be read by other
users and it is all too easy to forget to properly protect the configuration
files. I think the command line arguments should probably be cleared out
when the process starts, to prevent "ps snooping".

Just my $0.02

Andrew Scherpbier <>
Contigo Software <>