Re: [htdig] Htdig search problem

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:24:09 -0400

david bernick wrote:

> the href property is officially associated with only the location, area and
> link objects. this means that location.href=, area.href=, and link.href= are
> the only standardized ways to put links in javascript. we can pattern match
> for location.href= quite easily. this is the most commonly used way to make
> a link in javascript. the link itself is either root relative or absolute.

My JavaScript is very rusty, but can't you assign variables to these
properties to be interpreted at runtime? This is the problem--do you
just restrict to these properties as strings? I don't know how common it
is to use hard-coded URLs versus variables...

> this is alot trickier. flash movies are compacted and vector based, almost
> like compiled code, and are only readable by a flash plugin or special flash
> reader. if you open a flash movie in a hex editor (even a good text editor),
> you can find the URLs and just follow them. the main issue with htdig is
> parseing the code for hex when encountering an .swf file. i figure (and this
> is only theory so far) you can use the variety of freeware C++ objects that
> do hex parsing. as i said, this is very much theory and i'd like to hear
> some input on it if anyone has any.

We should probably take this to htdig3-dev. This sounds like a job for
an external parser, but I imagine running the binary file through the
command-line program "strings" would be useful.