Re: [htdig] I need some reasonable settings for: search_algorithm ?

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:32:34 -0400

> exact:1 synonyms:0.5 metaphone:0.4 soundex: 0.4 endings:0.1 substring:0.5
..
> How does it weigh - output ranking - or what else. I have changed a few
> setting but they didn't seem to make much of a difference ?

OK, so you have a *lot* of fuzzy algorithms. I would normally suggest
either soundex or metaphone since they're quite similar. Furthermore,
you've really cranked up the fuzzy weightings.

Think about it like this. As you have it set, exact is normalized to 1.
So matching "geoff" exactly is scaled by 1.
A synonym match for "jeff" -> "geoff" is worth half as much.
A metaphone or soundex match "jeph" -> "geoff" is still worth 40% of an
exact match.

So personally, I'd go for something like this:
exact:1 synonyms:0.3 endings:0.3 substring:0.1 metaphone:0.1

But also remember that these are scaling the document weights from the
search. So documents with many matches of the search words will have
higher document weights.