Re: [htdig] Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5 and headers...

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:09:30 -0500 (CDT)

According to david bernick:
> when i run htsearch from the command line, i get the following:
[snip]
> i assume that's working. the thing is, it was only working after i ran the
> command:
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
>
> before that it was giving me a library error. do you know of a way to set
> the environmental variable for the whole machine so that problem does not
> occur (which file should i put this path variable in?)

With Apache, the solution is to put the export command above into the
script that starts up the Apache server, and add 'PassEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH'
to Apache's httpd.conf file. I don't know how you'd tell Netscape's
server how to pass the environment variable, but you should be able to
find that out from their docs. If it can't be done, the alternative would
be to replace htsearch with a wrapper script that sets the environment
variable to the value you need before calling the real htsearch program.

If I'm not mistaken, is should also be possible to add an option like
-R to the link options (LIBDIRS) in Makefile.config, to tell it at
link-time where it should find the runtime shared libraries, then you
could do away with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH nonsense altogether.