Re: [htdig] Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5 and headers...

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:34:53 -0500 (CDT)

According to david bernick:
> my CGI-bin is quite valid. i can run a numerous perl scripts on it with no
> problem so long as the following prints before the output: print
> that makes complete sense. if i don't have that, netscape gives me a "did
> not produce a valid header" response. when i add it, the script works fine,
> so i figure that all scripts need that header. going through the source for
> HTDIG i noticed that that header certainly appears in the cout lines, but
> i'm getting that error that indicates that there is no header. has anyone
> gotten this to work on Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5? If so, how or what do
> i need to change to make it work?
>
> the error from the log is below.
>
> [29/Jun/1999:17:59:44] failure ( 4065): for host 38.165.144.31 trying to
> POST /cgi-bin/htsearch, cgieng_scan_headers reports: the CGI program
> /usr/netscape/ent/cgi-bin/htsearch did not produce a valid header (program
> terminated without a valid CGI header. Check for core dump or other abnormal
> termination)

Well, as the error message says, check for core dump or other abnormal
termination! Really, if htsearch isn't spitting out the content-type
header, it's likely because it's dying prematurely. Try running htsearch
from the command line to see where & why it fails. If you find a core
dump, try to get a stack backtrace, or if it segfaults without making
a core file, try running htsearch from the debugger and get a stack
backtrace when it fails. If it puts out any error messages before
failing, try to figure out the problem from those error messages.

You also don't mention which version of ht://Dig you have installed.
Versions of htsearch before 3.1.2 had some problems with segfaults,
which seem to be fixed now. If you're running 3.1.2, the problem may be
a corrupted database. It's hard to say for sure without knowing where
it's failing.