Re: [htdig] Frames

Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:31:18 +0200

According to info@edoc.co.za:
>Hi,
>
>I have a major site using Frames all over.
>
>It does not index when I use Htdig.
>
>Does htdig handle frames?

Hmm.. isn't http://www.htdig.org/ a frame site, too? ,-)

But it depends on how you define "being able to handle frames".
Ht://Dig can index frames pages but as with most (if not all)
search engines, it does not now how to get a user from a search
result page to the correct display of the target page. Therefore
many frame based sites don't allow robots to index more than the
root index document. This might be the case with that specific
site, too (check "robots" meta tag and "/robots.txt").

>(PS: I would love a great excuse to persuade a client not to use
>frames :-))

Frames have a lot of disadvantages, so you don't need excuses ;-)

cheers,
  Torsten