Re: [htdig] Same server

Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:37:13 -0500 (CDT)

According to info@edoc.co.za:
> Thanks Torsten,
>
> I did what you suggested and it worked!
>
> Nico
>
> > According to info@edoc.co.za:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have a number of virtual servers on my webserver.
> > >
> > >Two of them are edoc.co.za and www.edoc.co.za
> > >
> > >They are defined as local domains, and have the same IP-number.
> > >
> > >I added the line
> > >
> > > server_aliases: www.edoc.co.za=edoc.co.za
> > >
> > >But still get the same document indexed twice eg
> > >
> > >www.edoc.co.za/abc.html and edoc.co.za/abc.html will both be
> > >listed if retrieved by a search.
> > >
> > >What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > See http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#server_aliases
> > The server_aliases directive is *not* for virtual hosts!
> >
> > Also have a look at http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#allow_virtual_hosts
> > and make sure that you have the correct setting for allow_virtual_hosts.
> >
> > If you have access to your server configuration file, the best
> > thing you can probably do is to permanently redirect one virtual
> > host to the other. This will also allow other search engines on
> > the web to function properly. So if you got an Apache server,
> > simply add the line
> > RedirectMatch permanent (.*)$ http://www.edoc.co.za$1
> > to the configuration for the virtual host edoc.co.za

The other fix would have been to change the server_aliases attribute to

server_aliases: www.edoc.co.za:80=edoc.co.za:80

Up to and including the latest release, server_aliases required the
port number to be included, which was a constant source of confusion.
Leo fixed this in the 3.2 development code to default to 80 if omitted,
but this won't be out for a while.